Sunday 6 November 2011

Week 7: My Genre Article and Completion of Film Studies Portfolio

I have completed My Genre Article, which is the last task within my Film Studies portfolio. This focused on many different elements about my favourite genre, the Musical. Within this article I focused on the following aspects (I also focused on 3 more aspects not noted below):
  • Media Literacy: relates to how the audience decode and analyse the meaning within the musical. The audience must understand different aspects which the producer has consider when creating the media text these include: who created the text, target audience of the media text and strategies used to create the meaning for the intended audience.
  • Fandom: this relates to the fan base around the film or musical. A fan base share their love and enjoyment of a film through discussing why they like the film. They can do this by meeting or over the Internet on forums. People also show their appreciation for a film through dressing as one of the characters from the musical. This is because the characters are so recognisable that the audience can see who they are even if someone else is dressed up as them.
  • Social Networking: this plays a huge part in the success of a film. Social networking allows the audience to discuss the film. They can share reviews on the film and through the social networking the audience can decide whether to see the film based on the reviews. This type of promotion also creates 'hype' for the film, which promotes it even more.
  • Reception: the reception of a film is very important. This shows how the film was received by the audience from box office figures.
I have written my article based on the Musical genre and written about how the above aspects relate to film and the musical genre. From writing this article I have learnt about the different aspects which are considered within film and genre. I have learnt about different aspects such as media literacy and fandom and how this relates to the genre of Musical and film in general.

Film Studies Portfolio Complete
I have completed my film studies portfolio, the deadline is not until w/b 14th November, although I am on holiday from 7th November for 2 weeks, therefore I am missing the deadline. I therefore decided to submit my work before this deadline, I submitted my work on Thursday 3rd November. Therefore I completed two other tasks which had not been originally set yet, but I completed these within half term and last week.
Through completing this portfolio I am happy that I have completed the work to a standard which I would if I had two more weeks to complete it. I have carried out a genre analysis, a comparative study, infographics, blockbuster marketing article and genre article. I have learnt many new skills such as research methods and writing different articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment