Tuesday 4 October 2011

Week 4: Analysis' on Chosen Films

I have continued with my analysis studies within film studies. I have chosen to focus on the director Tim Burton and his two films: Edward Scissorhands (1990) and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005). I will be carrying out a Genre Analysis, Auteur Study and Narrative Analysis on these films. Through these analysis' I will be showing my knowledge in relation to these films. I have carried out a 'test' genre analysis and narrative analysis on two films, Monsters (genre analysis) and Raising Arizona (narrative analysis). From my previous post I stated what I will include and be discussing within these analysis'. I have carried out some initial research on Tim Burton and also the two films I am analysing. Through this research I will gain more knowledge into Tim Burton as a person and how his history (life) influences and is reflected within his own films. The reason why I researched into the two films is to gain an insight into the different elements used and how Tim Burton uses these within the films. This relates to the Auteur Study which I am carrying out on the two films. I will watch the two films and note Tim Burton's signature elements which are used within both of the films. I will then compare these within my Auteur Study. I have started to note the signatures within the films from my knowledge already. Some of these signatures include:
  • Same music composer used within most films: Danny Elfman.
  • Style & Techniques: troubled backstory flashback and colour visual aspects.
  • Main character within films is seen as an 'outcast'- but accepted by people.
  • Distinctive characters- pale faced.
Pale Face: Johnny Depp as
Willy Wonka

Pale Face: Johnny Depp as Edward
Scissorhands










  • Same actor used- Johnny Depp.
  • 'Machine style' introduction used on both films- chocolate bars being produced in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory relates to the inventor sequence in Edward Scissorhands.
  • Split worlds.
  • Films contain dark and colour elements.

I will continue with my research and also start to complete the Auteur Study on Tim Burton and the Genre and Narrative Analysis'.

No comments:

Post a Comment