Friday 28 October 2011

Week 6: Film Remake Article Completed and Blockbuster Article Continued

I have completed my film remake article focusing on the film 'Hairspray'. Throughout this article I compared different elements surrounding the film from the 1988 version and the 2007 version. By writing this article I have learnt about the differences and similarities between the films. I have recognised the differences which relate to the year in which the film was made. For example, the finance was a huge difference, as the budget for the 2007 version was much higher than that of the 1988 version. A similarity of the films was the production company, New Line Cinema. This company is vertical integration as they produce, market and distribute all of their films. 
I have started to create my double page spread in Photoshop, working from my original sketch of the double page spread. I will be adding the relevant information from my written article into my double page spread. These will be the elements which I believe will appeal to the target audience of 14-16 year olds. This would include: stars, trends and genres, this is some of the information I believe will appeal to the target audience. I will continue to complete my final double page spread.

Blockbuster Marketing Article
I have also completed my research into marketing a blockbuster film. I have researched into how movies are marketed and how audience is considered within production of a blockbuster. Some of the information I have found in relation to how audiences are considered in the production:
  • Narrative: the audience like a captivating and interesting narrative, as this will draw them in to watching and being interested in the film.
  • Cast: familiar actors and actresses will draw the audience into watching the film. If the audience recognise the cast they will want to view the film.
  • Characters: the characters are very important to the audience. Especially if there is a specific target audience for the film. This is because the audience like to relate and understand the characters within the film. Therefore, characters are important within the narrative in the film, so the audience can relate to these aspects.
  • Genre: when targeting specific audiences, the producer needs to consider the target audience. This is because within different genres are different audiences, so the film genre needs to relate to that audience. For example, horror films are aimed at teenagers 18+ because of the content included. Content within the horror film is an aspect the producer needs to consider in relation to the audience of the blockbuster.
Some marketing strategies for a blockbuster include:
  • Trailers
  • Posters
  • Media Advertising
  • Internet
  • Premieres and Previews
These are some of the aspects which I have discussed within my report. I have explained how they are used to market and blockbuster.
I will continue to complete the marketing article and my double page spread for my film remake article of Hairspray.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment