Wednesday 19 October 2011

Week 6: Film Article Remake Development

I have decided to create an article on the film remake Hairspray. Within this article there are many different aspects which I need to write about which I have stated in my last post.
I have watched the original film Halloween (1978) and analysed the different aspects which I need to include within my own article. Some of these aspects which I gained from Halloween include:
  • Budget- this was a low budget, which reflects many of the different aspects within the film. These include: casting, music, special effects and locations, therefore because the film had a lower budget than other horror movies it may not have been created as well as it could have been.
  • Cast- Halloween included one main famous person who people would recognise. This was Jamie Lee Curtis, quite a lot of the budget would have been spent on casting her within this film. This would also draw audiences in to watching the film as she is best known for being the daughter of original 'victim' in Psycho.
  • Distribution- The certificate of this film was an 18, this is based on the content included within the film (e.g violence). Halloween also had a niche audience, it was aimed at a specific audience, being teenagers aged 18 and over. Whereas other films which were released around the same time as Halloween did not have a niche audience and would appeal to a wider audience. Therefore releasing Halloween at this time was a risk as there were bigger films being released as well.
These are some of the aspects related to Halloween and after half term I will be watching the remake of Halloween (2007). I will be able to compare the similarities and differences between the two films, which is what I am doing within my Hairspray article.
Halloween (1978)


Hairspray Remake Article
I have decided to create an article based on the remake of Hairspray. I did initially intend on comparing the original and remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, although I was not able to access the data in terms of box office and distribution of the movie from sites such as wwwboxofficemojo.com. Therefore I decided to choose a film which I could access the correct information for and this was Hairspray.
The original of hairspray was released in 1988 and the remake was released in 2007. I have completed my research into the films looking at the different aspects of the film which I will discuss within my article. These include: Finance, Social/ Political Issues, Genres, Narrative, Distribution, Trends, Technology, Stars and Vertical/ Horizontal Integration. I have researched into all of these aspects in relation to the film and I have started to create a research dossier which I will write up my research into.
In terms of my double page spread, I have begun analysing existing double page spreads including: their layout, typography, images and colour. I have created an initial sketch for this and this includes bright and bold colours to reflect the film clearly. This double page spread needs to appeal to the target audience of 14-16 year olds, therefore it needs to interesting and eye catching. It will not include columns of writing as I will incorporate different elements which will catch the readers attention.  I have also analysed the Hairspray programme which I brought from the musical and I have taken elements from this to incorporate into my double page spread. This includes: bright & bold outline edges around boxes to include information & the contrast of bright colours used to catch the audience's attention. These are aspects I will include as they clearly reflect the film. I also researched into the trends of the time which Hairspray was set in (1960's) this included: Pop Art, Fashion (Op Art) and Music. These are the aspects which would influence the film as the decade which it was based within.
I will continue planning and designing my double page spread from my research and also complete the film article. I will be including the most interesting aspects related to the movie which my target audience (14-16 year olds) will be interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment